Thursday, December 3, 2009

MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE…PETS?

Here I am again, wondering if I’ve made the right choice about a pet. Two weeks ago a co-worker was talking to me about the beautiful pups she was trying to place for her son. It just so happened that I had been looking online for about two months at pets and my heart was just longing for a furry little critter to love. My children say that it’s just a phase for me and if I just pass it by, it will fizzle out. I guess I don’t have a very good track record of sticking out the hard part, the training…whew, speaking of training, one of these little girls (puppies) just farted. “OMG, could you warn somebody please I am screaming in my mind!” To say that they passed gas would be just too mild for what I have to tolerate while typing my thoughts out in my journal.

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, wondering about the pet choice thing! I try to look at the reason I wanted a pet to determine if I will make it this time through the training part. I remember thinking how good it would be at this time of my life to have a best friend in my corner while I gracefully age into this phase of my life at 53. I don’t mean to say that I feel old or anything, it’s just a time of reality checks about what I do like and don’t. I really don’t care much for the phoniness of parties or clubbing anymore on a regular. A private party every now and then is ok. Even a night out on the town sometime is ok but in this North Carolina town there is not much going on anyway.

Pets can be very entertaining but they also require a lot of attention and responsibility. For example, I get up at 3:00 am in the mornings to go to work and I try to be quiet as possible to not awaken my partner. Now, I have to be concerned if these new babies of ours will go back to sleep after I leave for work. My partner and I work different shifts. She tried to tell me that this was a huge task I was venturing into but I don’t think I knew just how much was involved. Don’t get discouraged…I haven’t thrown in the towel yet and she doesn’t want me to either! (She’s the puppy person anyway…I’m learning…it was a compromise:-)

The first thing I experienced after getting our new babies Tobi and Cami was the trip for shots and deworming at the vet. We met three other pet lovers while we were there and we all wooed over each other’s babies. This reminded me of my proud mothering days and that was a little scary. Was I wanting to return to those days of great responsibilities or is it possible that my children made me feel worthy of life and now I wasn’t able to find a reason for joy in my life? That’s deep and maybe I will ponder that over the next few weeks. I have questioned in the past whether or not people were buying pets to replace human relationships that reflect their flaws to be addressed. I have also given thought to the idea that at a certain age you no longer want the overall analysis that is required in a human relationship in order to grow.

I remember reading about the relationship between Shirley MacLaine and her dog Terry in “Out On A Leash”; I was overwhelmed with the joy she received from her furry friend, unconditionally. I loved the idea that through their eyes one could see the spirit of nature and the simplistic gratitude of sharing their lives together in boundless love. I have always been a hopeless romantic but never actually experiencing it other than behind a big bucket of popcorn, a Coke, some tissue and a good mushy movie. I am hoping that I can have this kind of experience with our new babies. I have had to learn about sticking to something long enough to see the benefits through my most resent relationship for the last seven years with my partner. I figure that in order to experience what I felt from reading about Shirley and Terry I will have to go through some things to appreciate the “Nature of Reality and Love”,( taken from, “Out On A Leash”).

While I think of unconditional love, I also am listening to my doctor’s diagnosis…, “You have a fracture and I think you’re going to have to wear a boot for a while. Luckily the bone is not broken”, she smiles while asking me, “Now, tell me again what happened!”

“Do you want the theatrical version or just the blur vision of events”, I say while laughing. “It was Monday after Thanksgiving at 8:30pm when I had just chastised Cami for peeing on the carpet for about the 10th time! I put her along with Tobi in the kitchen and put up the baby gate, it was a little “time out” tactic. I decided that I would get me a piece of sweet potato pie for the movie. Coming back across the gate my left toe caught the top of the gate and the comedy began…the pie went one way, the plate went one way, the fork went one way and I went the other. Tobi ran behind the trash can just shivering from all the noise…Cami came up to the gate crawling on her belly as if to say, “are you ok mommy”! Between the crying and laughing I took down the gate when I was able to get up off the floor to pat her on the head and say thank-you for loving me unconditionally. I had to coax Tobi out from behind the trash can before she was sure it was safe and then I loved on both of them. Well Doc, that’s my story”, I said still laughing as I retold it. I was asking God, “what was the message in it all”, when I realized, it’s only with animals that we get to experience instant forgiveness and unconditional love regardless! Did I make the right choice in getting pets? I think so but I think I have a long way to go in knowing for sure the benefits. To my furry loving friends along with Shirley MacLaine and Terry, I hope I can write a book one day about everlasting love and furry memories. I think I’ve got a good start!


PS: I'll have a week at home to think about this experience and time to bond with my furry babies. Stay tuned to hear the stories as they unfold in my awareness. It will be interesting to say the least. Good writing material, I'm sure...hum...maybe they are my writing angels...just a thought:-)

1 comment:

Sacredflower said...

Brenda:
Congratulations !!!!! (on the babies). I love this serving. It is true, animals bring so much joy into our lives, but they are definitely work. I got my dog (Lindsay) 11 years ago because my middle daughter begged me for a dog for two years. Lindsay bonded with me and I am the ONLY one who remembers to feed her, take her to the vet, give her the heart medicine and Frontline, get her teeth cleaned, take her out to poop and pee and give her a bath. I cry every time I have to drop her off at the kennel. Lindsay gives me SO much love, I don't know what I would do without her.
Love,
Pam

(posted by: Sacredflower)